Keep Smiling : Toledo’s latest tragedy and loss #RIPSarahBeacher

Sarah and her family. (pictured left to right: Kayla, Sarah, Baby Nick & Dan, Ricci, Maddie and Chris, and Kyleigh

I met Sarah Beacher​ a couple different times.  Each one was somehow related to helping another person or group.

Sarah was the 31 year-old mom, who was gunned down in an East Toledo neighborhood, on August 11th.

Her crime; wrong place, wrong time.

Ms. Beacher was engaged to Dan, together they have a blended-family of five beautiful children; Kyleigh, Ricci, Kayla, Maddie and a baby boy, Nick.

If you look at her Facebook page and peek through her photos, you will see some amazing things; she volunteered at her kids’ school, she coached a cheer-leading squad, she loved herself and her friends, and the true key to whom she was– her kids are always smiling.  Every photo, every situation; her babies, through birth or pure love, are smiling.  That says something about the household and especially her heart.

I imagine if she didn’t feed the entire neighborhood, if she didn’t give what she had to others– her family might be a little more financially prepared for this moment.  But what family ever is?

She was proud of her roots, of her East Toledo neighborhood.  Was always advocating for improvements and policing her neighborhood.  I have learned recently she had been concerned about a family that moved nearby, and discussed it at her work.

The police have no active leads, but the early theory could be based on her previous concerns.  She wasn’t the target of the shooting, she was just being a mom, sitting on her porch–enjoying the day.

Our town, this community, lost someone who made a difference.  Sarah wasn’t an elected official, nor a person who craved attention– she was a proud East Toledo mother, who tried her best to improve that block and this city.  The lessons she instilled in her classic-Toledo-blended family, will never be forgotten.   Always smile, always help, always love life and each other.

As a father of four, I know how difficult it is to get your children to smile for a picture.  I understand that genuine smiles reflect the child’s happiness and is proof of how loved they are. Pictures of children say a million things about the quality of parenting they’ve experienced.

My fear is that Sarah’s beautiful children will lose their smile.  I don’t want her hard work, her hopes and dreams for her children, like her life– ended with some bullets.

I am going to eventually ask you for money to help this family.  I have informed her co-workers about the Ohio Victim’s fund, which will hopefully cover the cost of her funeral.  I want to make sure there is a good plan in place for the funds we are going to raise.

She did nothing wrong, she was just being Sarah, and someone stole her life.  Someone stole a mom from five children.

My hopes and dreams for her family is to raise enough money to send her children to college.  To provide them with an education and future, one she was working so hard to achieve.  To eliminate that stress from Dan, so he can focus on being a dad.  To make sure these children do not become another statistic of the senseless violence in our society.  To give her babies the opportunity of making their mom proud, in heaven.  To show them how beautiful the world can be, even after moments of complete ugliness.

Maybe a local college will see what she meant to our community and step up to ensure these children’s futures are protected.  This is the character of student you want enrolled in your college or University.  A decision that makes this is the low-point in a story of a fantastic life and career.  This type of character isn’t learned, it’s ingested through osmosis.

This city just inherited the future of five souls.  We need to always watch out for them, while not constantly reminding them of this sadness and pain.  We can not fail these kids again.

Sometimes life sucks.  Sometimes life is unfair.  It’s what we do in these darkest of times that shows why this city, and this neighborhood is so special.  Sometimes you have to respond to life with a middle-finger, and a smile. The very thing East Toledoans are known for.

Keep smiling, no matter how impossible it seems.  Keep smiling.

#RIPSarahBeacher

I’m so sorry Dan.

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 6.17.36 AM

Please post your favorite Sarah story below.  Help prove why these children and this family is different.  Let’s show those with the decision power to change a life, that these babies are worthy.

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in #ToledoIsBeautiful, Family, Motherhood, Sarah Beacher, Toledo, Victim
10 comments on “Keep Smiling : Toledo’s latest tragedy and loss #RIPSarahBeacher
  1. regina flores says:

OH SO MANY MEMORIES WITH OUR BELOVED SARAH… WHAT KEEPS REPLAYING IN MY MIND IS HER LAUGHING AND DANCING. MY GIRL COULDNT GET ENOUGH!!!! LOVE U SKARAH (NO TYPO) JUST INSIDE NICKNAME 😉😘

• Crystal Elliott says:

Beautiful story..thank you. Sarah was an amazing person and a wonderful mother. She has been my daughter Kyleighs stepmom since she was 3 years old. My daughter was truly blessed to have Sarah be her 2nd mom and best friend. Sarah meant the world to OUR daughter. She will be missed. We love you Sarah!!!

2. Nikki hartzell says:

I first met Sarah thru my sister who was her best friend. When i met her she was kind nice and always smiling. The thing i loved most about Sarah was that she always had the ability 2 make u smile no matter how bad of a day u wer having. She was always trying 2 help sum 1 out. She had the biggest heart n she was a wonderful mother/ wife 2 her kids and Dan. Dan n Sarah were 2 peas n a pod. Sarah will b incredibly missed. She and her family will always b in my thoughts n prayers. As well as my sister who was sitting right next 2 Sarah when he life was takin. My sister and Sarah were jus sitting on my sister pourch when Sarah’s life was takin. I love u sis, Sarah, Dan and kids. I hope u guys keep ur heads held high. God Bless everyone who was involved in this heinous crime.

3. Jessica T. says:

I’ve known Sarah for nearly 15yrs. One thing that I know for sure is she has more charisma than anyone else I’ve ever known. She is the epitome of dedication! This family has suffered so much tragedy over the years and she has held strong for her kids through it all. Her love for them was more obvious than the sun! I could go on and on about her! One of the last things she said to me was that I was a MVP (a joke she made at a football event)… But actually She is the TRUE MVP! She is Mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, coach, and many other things to many people, blood or not! She has touched many lives and will be deeply missed! Love you Sarah… Rest Easy Mamas!!!

4. Aubryann Hawkins says:

The last funniest story I remember with Sarah is what I’ll always remember. She always had to make sure her kids were safe & okay before they did anything, so Ricci asked if he could ride with me to take my friend home & she was iffy about it but she finally said yeah, but before she let us leave she made sure we all had seat belts on & right before I pulled off she was like WAIT , let me check your license , so I handed it to her , & then she read every little thing on there & then she let us go but we still had one more thing we had to do before we came back & it was to go get her some Taco Bell . I’ll always miss you Sarah , but I’ll still be around with the kids , they’re family no matter what & We got them just like I know you’d want us too .

5. Jacqueline elliott says:

I met Sarah through Dan and My sister Crystal, Sarah was my sweet NIECE Kyleighs step mom, Sarah was truly there for my niece as a mother she tried to be there for kyliegh when ever needed and even when ky didn’t want her to be like most 14 years olds!!! I will say this makes me sick that her children and Dan’s children are gonna grow without their mother.. this is truly a sad and cruel world sometimes but it can also be an amazing world when people are in need the way others come to help out… Please help this family in anyway possible!!
    Also please help find the people responsible for this tragedy help bring them to justice for taking a beautiful life!

6. Sherry Ruiz says:

What a beautiful story Jeremy. and what a tragic loss. Not only for the family but for the entire east Toledo community. It is time for Toledo to put an end to this violence and to take back our city. On Sunday August 16th at 7:00 we will be doing a walk against violence in loving memory of Sarah. We would love for you to come and speak to the kids and share you thoughts. We have printed shirts with part of the proceeds going to the family. We will also be collecting donations. We are ready to embrace this family and show these children there is still good in this world. Hope to see you there.

7. Marianne Keil says:

I didn’t know Sarah or her family, but as a mother of 3 daughters I couldn’t imagine!! My heart goes out to Sarah’s family especially Dan and her 5 children!! I’m so sorry that this has happened!! Very unfair act of violence for no reason! I PRAY justice is done and that TPD catches the people who did this!! Rest in peace sweet Sarah and God Bless you and your family❤️😢😢

8. Carol says:

I didn’t know Sarah but this tragedy is so sad,My prayers for her children and her family!