One of the “Untouchables”; an email from AWS Board Member Doug Zimmerman

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following email was received today from AWS Board member Doug Zimmerman, with the subject stating “One of the “Untouchables”.  It was CC’d to Jim Fritz, Superintendent of AWS Schools.  I feel it is only fair to share the email in it’s entirety.  My response will be forthcoming.

General-2C

Mr. Baumhower

As it seems you enjoy a good story, I shall share with you one from my day today.

I received a text from my 21 year old daughter this morning, her Facebook page was blowing up with your “blog” about yesterday morning’s meeting.
I gave her a call, and the first words out of her mouth were “I’m guessing this guy doesn’t have all the facts or you wouldn’t have spoken up.”
I explained to her the whole story and all she could say was “WOW” and “I’m proud of you dad”

Based on a quick review of your “blog”, I felt compelled to share this with you since you may never be as lucky to receive this comment from your children.

Now to answer your question about how I can sit there without any compassion; because I have all the facts.
It is not  my arrogance that should be questioned, but your ignorance.

First let me tell you that I have all the compassion and respect for Mr. & Mrs. Halko and their family.
I have no idea how they make it through each and every day, let alone moment dealing with the issue involved in raising Kaley.
I truly don’t know if I would have had to strength to endure this situation and count my blessings everyday because of people like them.

Secondly, because of my respect for them, I understand their level of frustration in this situation and wish them only the best as they move on.
Because of my layman’s understanding of human nature, I fear that they are making their second biggest mistake leaving the Anthony Wayne community.
Their first biggest mistake was getting involve with gossip mongers like yourself and misdirected “friends” that have been encouraging them to vilify a young boy.
I would like to say “shame on you”, but question if you even have any.

You don’t have, nor do you care to, nor are you allowed to have all of the facts.
And quite frankly, I don’t think you are man enough to even want them.

Not that you care, but I went down to One Government Center and took our my petitions for the AW School Board thirteen years ago.
Not because I had an agenda, not because I wanted to affect “change”, but because I thought it was the right thing to do to serve my community.
I am the son, grandson and nephew of educators and farmers.
I bring to the table nothing but an open mind, some common sense and a desire to help ALL the students and families where I choose to raise my family.
It was my choice, I stepped up alone and have done it three more times since.
I am not in this for money or fame.
Or approval of everyone in my community, I know and expect to make decision that some will dislike.
I am willing to stand up for what is right, even when a portion of them don’t agree.
And I will always stand in front of all of the good people working and doing their best at Anthony Wayne Local Schools.

In that time, few people in my community have chosen to do the same thing; Pam, Vicki, Barry and Ron are the only new members.
It is a thankless job, filled with little rewards other then the smiling faces of graduates and mixed smiles and tears of first time kindergarten parents.

Whenever I am asked why or what it is like to be a school board member, I always use this analogy:
It is like taking your entire family to a restaurant, paying for your meal and then getting invited into the kitchen.
You have to see the good and the bad of how your meals are prepared.
Then you have to return to your family and eat the meal you paid for.

Not everything at AW is perfect, just like I’m sure is the case at the Baumhower home or work place.
We have the daunting task of educating over 4,000 students while meeting the demands of every changing state/federal policies and a fixed budget.
And every year since I have been on this Board (please note I’m am not nor will I take credit for this), AW student, faculty and staff have received and “EXCELLENT” rating or better from the state.

Do we have bullying at Anthony Wayne?
Yes, just like every other school and every community in the state of Ohio and across this country.
We are dealing with young people growing, changing, learning and even sometimes crossing the line.
Our Principals, Administrator, Teachers and Parents do all they can do every day to guide each and every student in the right direction.
And regardless of all the effort; some, many, most, all of them will make mistakes even kids like Kaley.

They say we did nothing, I say we are the only ones that did something.
The Instagram page was shown to law enforcement, prosecutors and children services – all of them said it was not a direct threat.
Judges issued restraining orders; then dismissed them.
Where is your anger, vitriol and half truths about them?

Anthony Wayne spent countless hours investigating, counseling and even punished.
Oh, but we did not do it to the liking of you nor the “friends” of Kaley.
All of whom have forgotten that at the other end of this story is another 10 year old student of our community and our school, for whom we are also responsible to educate.

You can call it arrogance if you want, I really don’t care.
I call it responsibility and  respect AND the job I stepped up to FOUR TIMES for this community.
I and the Administration, Faculty and Staff of Anthony Wayne don’t have the luxury to pick and choose which students we want to help…we have to work with and help ALL of them.
Not everything I want goes my way, nor will it for you, nor will it for the Halko family.
Everyone needs to stop, step back and realize this once and a while.

Finally, I encourage you to get out from behind your keyboard, step up and do something for your community, where ever it is that you live.
This is an off year, but school board election will be held throughout the state next year.
Head down to One Government Center, pick up a petition, walk around your community and get signatures run for office.
Put down your stones and step into our glass house, take on some responsibility…and maybe in the end you may earn the respect of your children for doing the right thing.

Still sleeping very well at night.

Doug Zimmerman
10*** ***** Rd.
Whitehouse, OH 43571
(419) 4**-****

PS: I’m sorry Dr. Fritz. I know I have told you and told you not to take people like this to heart – it is not a personal attack. But I could not help myself. Like you, I believe we all can learn and grow; I hope that holds true for Mr. Baumhower also.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Anthony Wayne, Bullying, Column, Discussion, education, Family, Kaylee Halko, Life, Parenting, Schools, Sylvania, Toledo, Waterville
77 comments on “One of the “Untouchables”; an email from AWS Board Member Doug Zimmerman
  1. Molly says:

Arrogant bastard can not even spell Kaylee right, So I think his “thorough investigation” must be lacking a bit in actual facts, What a sorry sad sack of a person he is. SMH

• Tina Wagner says:

I thought it was rude of him to imagine what your kids might feel or say about you. I’ve worked with your amazing kids for years. I’m completely certain that they love, respect, and feel proud about the things you do.

• Dan Spradlin says:

Hopefully everyone remembers the names of these board members and does not vote them back in. They are what wrong with schools now days.

2. Well then.
    Um, first of all, it’s KAYLEE!
    Secondly, we are more than just “friends” of the family.
    Lastly, maybe Mr. Zimmerman should attend a few of his schools’ English and Grammar classes. It is painfully annoying to see anyone involved with education not be able to spell or use proper grammar. SMH. What a shame.
    Jeremy, I am sure you aren’t influenced by this email, but I just want to reenforce that you are doing a great job in representing and supporting the Halko Family. I know that they appreciate you and I appreciate you, as well.

Warm Regards,
    Sara

#WeLoveYouKaylee #BeThereForKaylee

• Raymond says:

How are you gonna rip on the man for not spelling a name correctly, when you can’t even spell reinforce correctly?

• Mike says:

It’s pretty simple: to the best of my knowledge, Sara hasn’t made any claims of working in education herself, only that it is shameful for a man in a position of authority and essentially in charge of educating our children, and doesn’t have a solid grasp of the English language. Seriously…”once and a while”? What educated man talks like that and how can people take him seriously?

• Raymond,

Please forgive me. My Husband is Law Enforcement, so I truly believed spelling reenforce this way was correct. My Bad.

However, not paying enough attention to spell a child’s name correctly by an official who has overseen her case, is pretty telling how much thought he’s actually given to the situation.

Take Care.

Sara

• Mike,

Thank you very much for defending me. It is truly appreciated! I am not as eloquent as most, so I make mistakes. It is also true that I am not an educator or do I hold a position that is in education. I do use spell check, but it’s not 100% accurate.

Again, Thank You! It was very kind of you.

Warmest Regards,
        Sara

3. Mr. Zimmerman – I am sorry you are so misinformed. You, AW Schools, and the other BOE members are not the victims here. Your mischaracterization is an inversion of morality and is further evidence of why you are part of the problem. Kaylee is a victim. Her family members are victims. I will admit that this young man is a victim, but not of the Halkos or Jeremy. All of these people are at the receiving end of failed leadership; failed leadership from the parents of this boy and from the leadership of AW Schools. The police, the prosecutor, and children services board have a different standard to meet for criminal prosecution or intervention. A school district’s standard is not the same to execute disciplinary sanctions that are sufficient to end the behavior. This is the concept that you fail to grasp.

One of the things that happens in schools is that when aggression is directed at the child of an educator or administrator, the behavior is very clearly dealt with. The child of the most senior member of the administration of AW Schools was the target of this boy’s aggression about 3 years ago. Funny how AW Schools was able to separate these 2 and they’ve not been in a classroom together since. Your outrage that your daughter has to deal with this is further evidence of your lack of consistent standards regarding this matter.

Furthermore, the law does not mandate schools to deal with bullying incidents as they happen. The law requires that schools develop plans to prevent further bullying when a specific incident of bullying is brought to their attention.

• Linda,

Thank you for all you’ve said here and on facebook. I wish I was able to be so eloquent when I’m this emotionally vetted. I admire that quality in anyone, but yours is amazing. Thank you for continuing to support the Halkos. I feel better knowing that the Halkos have someone like you near them and standing with them!

I hope you have a lovely evening and wonderful rest of the week!

Sincerely,
      Sara

• Thank you Sarah. It means a lot to me. My kids have been bullied out of their public school district too so I know a lot of what the Kaylee and her family are going through. I’m a counselor and a school counselor too so I see professionally what this kind of peer-inflicted abuse does to children, families, and the entire school environment.

• You’re very welcome, Linda. You are far more qualified to speak on this than I am, but my amazing Step-Mother is/was a school counselor as well, you are a very special breed! Purest of hearts!

4. Jennifer says:

I’m sorry, but bullying in any form and anytime needs to be dealt with. Children are killing them selfs because if it. Please keep standing up for this family! AW schools should be ashamed!!

• Jennifer,

You couldn’t be more correct, unfortunately. Children are turning to suicide to escape the torture of being bullied, beginning at age 9! Maybe the District and the Board Members should spend some time on a suicide help-line and/or attend a few funerals of suicide victims. Seems to me that something needs to shock them out of their current mindframe.

Thank you for your continued support for the Halko family.

Sincerely,
      Sara

• V says:

its the schools fault for not helping these kids? where the hell do the worthless parents come into play. thats the real issue when it comes to this bullying. point fingers at them, not the school because the SCHOOL is for the education, HOME LIFE is for really teaching your kids about respect to others. I bet you look at any of those bullying cases and the one spitting out the hateful words are the ones that grew up in broken homes. even if they aren’t broken homes at first glance, those kids are probably neglected by their rich busy parents who don’t have the time to sit down and talk about life to them so that leads them to pick on the helpless. maybe you people should do as the letter says and get away from your keyboards and go out and really do something to help these kids, the ones causing and receiving the bullying.

• Determining what started a fire is different from what is required to put out a fire. If a fire is from faulty wiring, screaming it is the electrical isnt going to put it out. The parents ,ay have started the fire, but the schools did not exercise their authority, power, and resources to put it out. how do we know. the conduct persisted until the end of the year.

• V says:

well said Linda and I agree… something probably should have been done sooner than letting it get this far out of hand.

• C.B. says:

Equal blame should be put on the parents. The schools can not control what kids do at home and what they say on their home computers. Schools can only do so much, it should be up to the parents to take care of the rest.

• sauls920 says:

C.B.

I wholeheartedly agree that the parents should be of equal blame. Unfortunately, those parents aren’t doing anything.

When the temp order was in place the boy stopped. Once the order expired, the boy shouted across the lunchroom that the order was gone and he could do whatever he wanted. What does that suggest about the parent’s parenting here?

If my Son had an order placed on him for Bullying or Bullied/s, you can guarantee it would have been handled by myself and he would be spending as much time as needed to make his wrong right with the victim. I am quite certain it would not happen again.

We’ve all been astounded at the fact that there is clearly a lack of parenting going on with this boy and his family…not once has anyone in that family come out and said anything. No “We couldn’t be more regretful that our Son treated Kaylee this way…” No “We are sorry and we will see to it this doesn’t happen again” No words, at all. I don’t expect them to, ever. THAT is a real shame.

ONCE AGAIN, the reason it is in the ‘school’s’ hands is because it was brought on to the school’s property, the boy showed it to other classmates on his mobile device and also promoted the pages at school.

Equal Blame, Yes. Equal Disregard, Yes. Equal lack of Responsibility, Yes. Both parties are equally WRONG.

5. Anonymous says:

Kaylee can be a little bully too. She is popular at school due to her tv appearances and commercials. There’s even a race in Monclova named after her. She has made fun of plenty of other kids. She has made fun of my sons weight and called him stupid (he has Aspergers). I would never allow my son to be a bully and I would never condone what this little kid did. My son gets bullied daily but you would never know because he’s not one of the untouchables. that is fact and not one sided gossip.

6. Stacy says:

Its also pretty bad when people from other school districts like myself see nothing but shame in the Anthony Wayne school district. Lets just say that I am thankful I am not in this school district. Bullying is bullying no matter how you look at it. Shame on you BOE for allowing this family to be run out of your district!!! I hope this somehow makes the national news and that they really embarrass Anthony Wayne school district to its core. As for you Mr. Zimmerman, I would be thinking about getting a new job because you really suck at it.

• Tanya says:

As you stated above you aren’t from AW school district and frankly have no idea what you are talking about. I couldn’t be more proud to have gone to AW and will always be proud to say I am a general. Nothing anyone could say or do will ever change that.

• C.B. says:

If you aren’t from the school district then you have no idea what you’re talking about. You are entitled to your own opinion but at least make it an opinion based on facts instead of hearsay and rumors otherwise you are no better than the bullies you are complaining about.

7. Rob woody says:

Kaylie is an inspiration to our community, and a bigger role model than some of the adults governing our school system. My children are students at Anthony Wayne schools. There are other incidents that affect students outside of school that the school system reprimands them for. If a student gets busted drinking or doing drugs outside of school off campus they get suspended from school and or sports. If they get busted toilet papering someone’s house, they get in trouble in school. Kaylie is a young child with a disease that shortens her life significantly. Also she weighs 40 lbs. or less and can’t really stand up for herself. She’s a sweet and funny little girl from what I’ve seen on the softball field. As far as I know you must be 16 years or older to have a Facebook or Instagram account. What the hell are the parents of the bullies doing about this?!! This beautiful child has to move because of this?? Really?? I’ve attended all of the anti-bullying workshops offered by the Anthony Wayne school district, and it all sounds great until this. So my question is… Is it hard for a superintendent of a school district to intervene and do what’s right or is it better to sweep it under the rug?

8. Following the fire says:

Mr. Zimmerman should resign. Totally inappropriate to not only take cheap shots at Mr. Baumhower, but also disclose that he told his own 21 year old daughter the “full story” that a community has been seeking. Very unethical. Perhaps he has been in his position far too long. People need to step up in the AW community and run for the school board so that changes can be made.

• V says:

pretty sure Baumhower took the first cheapshot here folks. someone who does even live in the school district? come on now… looks to me as he is the one doing the bullying… or as adults put it, talking shit because they think they know everything.

• Debra R. says:

“Following the fire”, you have said exactly what I have been wondering. Why can’t we, people in the AW district know BOTH sides of this story, then maybe some of these opinions would change?

9. Kristin says:

Your school district is an embarrassment and you and the rest of the administration should be asahmed of yourselves. Her name us Kaylee by the way. We live in AW district. I have never sent my kids to your schools. Most people don’ t have a choice. Glad we do. I have one still in high school and on who graduated from Central Catholic High School located in downtown Toledo and never had to worry about a bullying issue. Location doesn’t make a school safer. Administration who care about the well being of ALL of their students does. So Mr Zimmerman, please remember this. Karma has no deadline. The taxpayers will remember this during elections and you have no soul

• Tanya says:

Actually I know a specific case of a girl who went to Central Catholic and tried to commit suicide many times because she was constantly bullied to the point of moving schools. Even AFTER she moved she was made fun of, called names, had twitter accounts made about her, etc. so don’t sit there and act all high and mighty because every school has their problems including your ever so perfect school.

• Anonymous says:

I attended a private school all of grade school and then ending up transferring to AW for my freshman year. I never once felt welcome. My volleyball coach would make fun of me because I came from a private school. And it didn’t stop there. Many teachers would even make rude comments to me in front of the class. So the problem isn’t just the students. It’s sad when the adults who are suppose to be educating kids are acting immature themselves and setting these examples. I ended up transferring back to a private high school and had nothing but a positive experience.

• C.B. says:

Ignorant, just plain ignorant. That’s all I can say to your comment.

10. Anonymous2 says:

Who of us wasn’t teased or insulted at some point in our youth? It’s part of growing up and our parents’ guidance as to how to handle it is essential to our development into adulthood. All this helicopter parenting doesn’t help kids learn to deal with life. Only when it’s a long term problem and attempts at teaching the “sticks and stones may break my bones” doesn’t work or the true safety of a child is at risk should we be expecting other to fix it. We are doing our kids a disservice by not teaching them to deal with this. And, this circus makes the adults look pretty small….As an Aw parent, I’m pretty embarrassed by the AW parents in these conversations, to be honest. I don’t know Mr. Zimmerman but his letter was on the mark.

• 1. Your post is so ill-informed. Your post suggests that this could’ve been good for Kaylee or any other student if the adults just stepped aside. There is a difference between being teased and being insulted and BULLYING. Bullying is harassment. Bullying does not make a child stronger. There are children who become stronger in spite of being bullied, but no one becomes stronger because they were bullied. 2. It isn’t up to Kaylee or other kids to not be bothered by harassers. The ultimate goal is to have the school let the harassers know it is up to them to not bother other kids. 3. Protecting your child from school-endorsed abuse isn’t helicopter parenting. It is advocating for your child. Bullying only stops when adults intervene. It was a long term problem. The cyber-bullying was only one of the incidents. It was ongoing until the very end of the school year. 4. With all due respect to Kaylee. Her condition really makes the harassment directed to her similar to harassing an old person.

• Anonymous2 says:

I didn’t say they should step aside and in no way is Kaylee an outcast. I said parents should coach their children on how to deal with these things. I taught my kids to walk away and not give a bully an audience. It often works and should be the initial approach. Starting a media frenzy surrounding a child is NOT appropriate nor is having a child watch a group of adults publicly trash an adult member of the community. I am done as I will not give this discussion any more publicity.

11. AW parent says:

So his daughter gets the whole story but I do not? The audacity…

• Debra R. says:

THANK YOU!!!!

• Seriously? says:

Thanks you Anonymous2 for being done, i can’t take you comparing this open discussion to the disgusting thing that boy(s) did-you should be embarrassed for not having the capacity to clearly see the difference in the two. And yes, children should be taught better coping skills, but children should also be taught that it is unacceptable to create hate pages wishing and rallying for death of another student. Goes both ways there chief.

12. Karla says:

Bullying is in every school in America. Unfortunately, since we have taken God out of the public arena we are no longer allowed to deal with these types of issues with absolute truth. My heart goes out to the Halko’s but it also goes out to the children who were the bullies in this situation. They are being raised in a culture of moral relativity and are not being taught what it means to love your neighbor as yourself. I also feel terrible for the staff and administrators at Anthony Wayne and all over this great land who have to deal with these issues every day. They are being asked to fight a battle without the proper tools to fight: a belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, helmet of salvation, and a sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Prayer and a return to faith is the solution to this and so many of our social issues

13. bigj says:

Honestly I feel bad I live in this school district right now, I have a sister with down syndrome and you better believe I would give my life to make sure she was safe if I found out she was being bullied that kid better watch out, these kids with special needs didn’t ask to be this way but its who they are and they are people to, I am glad my sister goes to a private school bullying should not be tolerated i Don’t care if its a little kid or not they need to learn, I truly hope the AW school district actually opens there eyes and realizes how big of a mistake they have made

14. Capt.Obvious says:

You hypocritical people attacking Mr. Zimmerman about who he is as a father and a person really need to think about your words and actions. You attack him for his grammar and spelling in an email, all the while you’re unable to spell or grammar-check your own comments. I’m not defending bullying or how Kaylee was treated. However, I AM a nay-sayer at the notion that a governing body can make a precedent or decision to actually defeat terror, evil, or even bullying. Even if you claim it isnt happening in whatever Utopic school your children may attend, it’s still happening and will continue to happen. There will always be bad parents or kids who feel that they have to make fun of someone else to prove their worth. Do we ignore this and sweep it under the rug? No, hopefully not. Do we relegate anyone who bullies to some sort of public shaming, punishment or training? If so, many of the commenters to this post are going to need shamed, punished and trained for their attacks on the school board. So, go ahead and post your angry replies and rants, but spend an equal amount of time drafting a proposition as to how the district can decrease bullying. Lets hold meaningful and productive conversation instead of pointing angry fingers and calling names (aka BULLYING); and that goes for ALL parties involved from the creator of this blog to Doug Zimmerman to any of the comments attacking anyone who has been a part of this issue.

• Capt. Obvious (clever 😉 ),

I’d be happy to advise you and whoever else, with a how-to on combating Bullying!

However, for it to succeed, it MUST include all of the following’s participation; the community, the school admin, the school district, the school board, the teachers, the staff, the faculty, the parents and the students. The entire climate must be changed, but cannot be without ALL of the above referenced.

SO, when you can commit the above, head on over to “The Bully Project” (dot com). They have ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED. In a District as small as AW with 4,000 students, you should be able to implement and workout all the kinks in 1.5 school years. Most of the change will come sooner, but to fine tune it to your individual District needs, you have to allow time to feel it out, survey the results, and then tweak it accordingly. It is a collective devotion, but it has been proven to work all the way down to the individual needs.

So, there’s your “proposition as to how the district can decrease bullying”. Now, is that satisfactory, Sir?

Sincerely,
      Sara

15. ..... says:

ALL of this…..the back and forth, the backhanded putdowns, the stirring of anger….ALL of it….it is not making the world a better place for anyone to live in…this ugliness on both sides is disheartening to see in a society that my children are growing up in….

16. AW Alum says:

I’m proud to say I graduated from AW. I would definitely not be the same determined, driven, responsible person I am today. This is about bullying and how it’s harmful correct? But you are all bullying Mr. Zimmerman. I understand Kaylee is fragile in size and can be hurt easily because of that. She does not deserve to get bullied for her disease. No one deserves to get bullied. But we’re human. We live in a world where we are critical of one another and judge and “bully” one another. There is only so much a school district can do. Everyone is blaming AW when the blame should be on the bully’s parents. They have more ability than anyone to punish their child and control what he puts on the internet. They have the power to truly teach them right from wrong and give consequences when the kid does wrong. Although I don’t agree necessarily with how Mr. Zimmerman handled his email (especially considering his daughter did not even attend AW for high school) I do believe the AW administration has done as much as they can, but can we say that about the parents of the kid bullying Kaylee?

17. Anonymous says:

Again, my son goes to school with Kaylee. She IS A BULLY. She picks on other kids and is mean and it’s totally allowed and not addressed. She told my daughter who was in cheerleading that she can’t be a cheerleader because she is too fat and clumbsy. While her “friends” laughed. This is not a “sweet” girl. Oh and fyi cheerleading is parent run. Not school run.

• What you’re kind of suggesting is that Kaylee isn’t perfect so she’s getting a spoonful of what she doled out. No student should be harassed, your child included, and it is really reflective of the toxic culture.

18. Anonymous says:

Anonymous 2, I agree Zimmerman had good points…but the “sticks and stones” point is not the best. Modern psychiatry and the sad events of suicides and mass school shootings have coupled together to show how the human psyche deals with constant tortuous redicule. Bullying rules are in place for just that reason.

19. b says:

First of all Mr Zimmerman being an elected official should have not sent an email or any other kind of comment knowing it would be made public. Let’s just add fuel to the fire. Anthony Wayne is like any other school.. The teachers are over worked and under paid. What I want to know is when they stopped caring about the students? Our problem is social media.. We can hide behind it.. Say what we want,hurt people .Most parents don’t even know what their children do on the internet good or bad. Yes there is bullying at AW.. But from what I’m seeing it is not only the children it is grown adults too. Parents and children need a wake up call.. Be a responsible parent see what your child is doing. Yes there are two sides to every story in this one it is the parents who don’t take responsibility for what their children are doing on the internet and parents who do care.

• b says:

Yes I am an Aw parent.. My sons both graduated .. What comes to mind is what happened to my oldest. Sophomore year a student rips his glasses off his face and breaks them into pieces just because he didn’t like my son.. This happened in school in front of a teacher..no form of punishment as in a detention or reprimand from the school. I was able to get the parent to replace the glasses but her response was ‘my son doesn’t like your son’ OK so that gives him the right to break property and physically hurt someone. Let’s be more responsible for the actions of our kids. My son doesn’t like your son is not s responsible response. Same as what we are seeing now.

20. […] NOTE: This is Jeremy Baumhower’s response to an email he received yesterday from AWS Board member Doug […]

21. Rob Allen says:

Interesting chain of events since I’ve left the AW school system. I live east if Cleveland now, but I still have many ties to the AW community. For what its worth, the people getting indignant and the ones hurling insults should stop for one moment and take a good long look at AW schools. Be proud, be happy, be whatever but start understanding that a school board isn’t the problem here, nor is their leadership or lack thereof. It doesn’t take a village to raise a child, it takes a mom and a dad and some discipline. Holding educators and board members responsible for the poor behavior of children is like telling a sexual assault victim they are at fault because of the way they dressed that day. Its stupid.

Parents and the child are responsible. If there has been counseling and punishment meted out,then accept it and move on. Rehashing the same tired disappointment that the board didn’t lynch those responsible in the town square says a lot about the motivations of many, and the lack of understanding that they have for the system and how it works.

• You’re analogy is wrong. You’re suggesting that AW Schools are the victims and that holding them accountable is blaming the victim. Educators are morally and socially responsible for ending harassing behavior that happens at school. They may not have caused it, but if it happens at school they are responsible for making sure that behavior does not impact the education environment of other students. By the way, these are not just my rec’ds. These are the rec’ds from the Ohio Department of Education.

22. Tina Wagner says:

23. Olivia says:

I am an AW grad and I was bullied by a fellow class mate. It caused my grades to go down, i feel very depressed and suicidal. Luckily, I had a counselor help me out and she never bothered me again. Bullying in any form is wrong, no matter who does it and we as a society need to stop it and it starts at home with parents teaching their children the right way to treat others.

24. Lisa Marie says:

The thing you ZImmerman supporters are missing here is it is the BOE’s job to make sure the children are safe and being educated. I totally get there are terrible parents. Jeremy is not trying to be a bully he is doing what is right by bringing the attention to the public. Something obviously has to change here.

25. Tyler says:

Maybe this is my young age coming out, but bullying has always existed. I feel for Kaylee and her family I do. But look at the bullying y’all are doing “arrogant bastard” …and so forth . If anything bullying in schools is showing you the adult lifestyle these students will soon enter. Yes our schools need to do something; teach students how to cope, learn, and grow from bad experiences. I’m a product of Anthony Wayne and my education was excellent and I’m grateful my parents sent me there. Was I ever picked on? Why yes I was. Primary school was weight, middle school was a B.O problem, high school combination of things. But when I was picked on who did I talk to my parents. They didn’t call the school demanding “justice” they taught me to love myself and let others think what they think. Parents today are soft .You rely on an institution for knowledge to raise your child and protect them from the “bad” things. Well sorry to break the news to you, but the adult life our schools are trying to educate are students for is big, scary, and mean. By teaching students how to cope instead of expelling and yelling at them they will learn how to love themselves first and then the world won’t be so scary and hurtful. So now that I’ll post this you can attack my grammar( I’m typing on a phone), say I’m stupid and don’t know what I’m talking about, belittle my ideas because they are not your own…. Because this is what adults do if you don’t believe me look at some of the other comments.

26. C.B. says:

I am proud to be an AW grad and will not hesitate a second to send my kids there. When are you parents going to take responsibility for your own kids’ actions. Yes, the schools have to provide a safe learning environment for the students but it is nearly impossible to keep an eye on every single student and what they are doing. If a student is bullying another student from their own home computer, how is the school supposed to monitor that? People these days find blame in everything but themselves. Bullying happens at every school not just Anthony Wayne. Unfortunately Jeremy only brings to light the bullying at ONE school. If you people are so concerned and so unhappy with how things are being handled, stop drinking Jeremy’s Kool Aid actually do something about it instead of hiding and complaining in a blog.

27. anonymous88 says:

If my child was bullying another, I would want to know about it ASAP. They would be apologizing and appropriately punished. If the situation continued, I would seek professional help for my child. Kids are kids, but kids need to be taught right and wrong. That is part of what every parent should be doing.

Honestly, for bullying situations that don’t go away, the bully should be expelled. I think CPS should take the child away if the parents aren’t taking the situation seriously. Too many problems in this country are due to crappy parenting. Way too many. I have had it with precious snowflakes that do no wrong and their enabling parents. Enough!

28. Aaron N says:

Mr. Zimmerman

No one cares about what your daughter thinks about you. Her bias shouldn’t comfort you, nor should it make you feel empowered to disrespect a local reporter. After your daughter says she’s proud of you, you say “You may never be as lucky to receive this comment from your children.” Are you kidding me? That is a very disrespectful statement, something a BULLY would say! It’s nice to know that you gave this blog such a “quick review” yet you had time to remark about every detail. It’s also ironic that you gave Kaylee’s bullying a “thorough investigation” yet you show zero tact.

How can you say that Mr. Baumhower should stop questioning your arrogance and that he should start questioning his ignorance? This is a flawed statement considering you said “nor are you allowed to have all of the facts.” Clearly everyone but the DOE and other agencies are ignorant of the facts when they aren’t allowed to be shared. I do not know you but you have clearly demonstrated your ignorance in leadership, respect, and integrity. You are supposed to hold yourself to a higher level of restraint, especially being catapulted into the public limelight. Instead, you feel the need to fight back when your job is on the line. This was a very tasteless email and I request Dr. Fritz to be emailed by any other person that agrees with me.

You stated “If I could, I would give them both the biggest hug, thank them and encourage them to stay positive.” NEWS FLASH, you could have! Nothing is stopping you except your own lack of empathy and failed attempt to transfer your blame to state/federal laws. Stop pretending to care, you showed no mercy at the meeting.

Obviously, people do not want to destroy the life of the misled youth that created this website. We understand that kids are put into weird situations and will mostly likely be embarrassed/regretful as time passes. However, consequences help to deter repeat action. Unfortunately for you, your consequences for writing this disgusting disrespectful email might not help you sleep well at night. You should be fired immediately.

All the fluff about your job, how thankless it is, and your analogy are completely irrelevant. Like I said, no one cares. Your analogy furthered my opinion of how dimwitted you are. When you said “You can call it arrogance if you want, I really don’t care.” basically defines the word arrogant. When you are a public figure you should hold your tongue.

Finally, when you decided to degrade a reporter/blogger for doing their job, you most likely opened up a big can of worms. Mr. Baumhower is doing his job and he is serving a purpose. I wouldn’t know how much of a pompous ass you were without him sharing this information. Your assumption that his kids do not respect him makes me want scream at how much of a douche you are. This email was very unwise and I will be satisfied only when you’re forced to make a public apology and resignation.

Someone deliver this to him, I don’t know his email. This blog title should have been “Blogger Gets Bullied”.

• Aaron,

Wow. Where have you been? Well said, Sir! What I would give to be able to articulate as you just did when my emotions are in overload. I’m not saying I’m an idiot because I am usually careful to use my education, but when it comes to kids and Bullying, it’s better that I am an advocate for children/teens/young adults. You don’t have to be worried about your credibility due to your possible human mistakes when you’re being compassionate and empathizing with the youth. So thank you for doing what I can’t.

Please enjoy the holiday weekend! Be safe and have fun!

Sincerely,
      Sara

29. Pat says:

You all refer to school climate. Climate is created at the highest point in the stratosphere. Where is the leadership in this district? The definition of superintendent is:

overseer, superintendent – a person who directs and manages an organization

Control your board & community. That’s what the taxpayers expect in return for your very generous salary.

30. A. Johns says:

I do not know the full story of this situation. However, I do remember as a parent sitting at the Board and refusing to leave because I was horrified at the way their special ed pre-school program was run in regards to children with special needs. AND, they refused to sign the paperwork via mail/fax so that he could attend a private school via a scholarship. My experience as a young, middle income, single, minority mom for just two years in that district was pure misery. The amount of fighting I had to do for my son to get proper services was crazy, and I am an educator! This district lacks empathy and diversity and unless you have a certain level of status or class you will never be deemed worthy of appropriate education in this district. It’s sad.

31. Lindsay says:

The people commenting on this story need to consider the fact that this is a blog, and presents a one-sided story on the issue at hand. I am not condoning how Kaylee was treated because it is obviously wrong. I’m also not saying that AW is correct in how they handled it. However, circulating biased reports from one whiny and uneducated “journalist” is getting nothing solved. Instead of bashing on AW on this little blog site, people should think a little harder about the other people involved and what can be done to help them. NO ONE thinks this kid’s bullying was okay, including the school. There is no way they can take on the social media problems of the entire district. That would open students up to a whole new problem. Where would the line be drawn? As a graduate on AW I can say with confidence that it is not all bad. The AW community has done some amazing things for people in my life. What do you expect them to do? It is against the law to expel a student at this age. The fact that this private email was shared online just shows the writers complete immaturity and attention-seeking nature. The writer doesn’t even live in our community. STOP sharing this story, it’s ridiculous and solves absolutely nothing.

32. AW PROUD says:

Amen!

33. Seriously? says:

WRONG again. Younger children have been expelled and sent to schools for children with behavioral issues. PLEASE people, know what you’re talking about before you criticize others. So cute how you all point fingers at the people educating themselves and calling them bullies while you name call and bully them. Adorable.

34. Seriously? says:

Saw this on FB, thought it had some interesting points that might hopefully clear some things up for those who can’t decipher “asking for improvement” and “bullying”.
    OK. I would like to say one last thing, and warning, will post this on every post to get it out of my system. And I am so sorry for how long this is!!!! I feel like I need to explain something, explain why I have become so frustrated and posted so often, where I had stayed so quiet before. I feel like there are so many blurring lines and creating side drama for no reason-causing focus to steer away from where it should be. Here I go. Blurred line 1-one can be extremely passionate and proud of their community but still wish some things in it would be better, or may need more work. Nothing is perfect and sometimes, more or less than other times, need to be tweaked. When there are children involved even the BEST system should be updated, reviewed, etc. to make sure every duck is always in a row. And ignoring or denying issues, for whatever reason, does not make them go away. Blurred line 2-one can feel bad for someone who is troubled or makes poor choices, but still want them held accountable as to help them in the future to make better choices. They will not come across as uncompassionate or less caring by wanting fairness and consequences for someone who did wrong- as that person/child will ultimately benefit the most by being held accountable and learning that life has rules, it is not a free for all; especially when hurting others is involved. Blurred line 3-educating and informing people of fact and on goings is not bullying. Creating hate pages wishing death or harm to a particular group or one person is. An open discussion full of viewpoints, standpoints, opinions, etc., even if they don’t mesh with your own, is not bullying-it is informing and enlightening, whether positively or negatively. Grownups, and children even, read things on a daily basis-medical info. , science related, religion based, child rearing advice etc. and hopefully with a level rational mind decide for themselves and their family what is realistic or maybe more fact based and what is straight up weirdness. That is a part of being a responsible human being. There have been things that even Jeremy has said that I’ve gone, eh, maybe but I’ll look more into it, there have been “AMEN BROTHA” moments and there have been “Oh snap, he went there!” moments. But I am a free minded individual that can decide for myself what I hold important and what I can let slide. IF I were to not re-elect a board member at this point, it would not be because Jeremy said HE wouldn’t-I would base it off of that board members own written and spoken word(s) that I witnessed with my own two eyes (because I was there in the room) or an action or lack of that they did or did not take that I deemed a priority for our children. Period. Not because Bob, Jeremy, Sally, Beth, or whoever said I should or shouldn’t. There are many more blurred lines, but this leads me to the one that has been making me CRAZY since the meeting. There are people who are OUTSTANDING individuals, humans, parents, friends, sons, daughters, etc. that just might not be cut out for a certain role or position in life or career. To disagree with someone, friend, spouse, doctor, teacher etc, for a choice or action that THEY did or did not do, does not mean you don’t like that person or think they are a bad person. It simply means you disagree with them. For example, there may be principals that would make great teachers, but might not have what it takes to be the principal. There are some who would make great lawyers, but maybe not a judge. This is OK. Some know their limits and boundaries while some don’t. I know beautiful wonderful people who are caring and empathetic and parent their own children fine for them and their family, but I might not want them to parent mine. Because we may have different views on parenting, mine might not be right, or theirs wrong, but they are different. And that’s OK. My own personal example? I just graduated with an education degree to teach at a high school level, Eng/Lang. Arts. It was really hard to earn my degree while continuing to be a full time Mom to VERY active children. I did it, but realize now that I do not have what it takes to teach in a public school. I would not be able to remain “diplomatic” if I did know of wrong doings or witness severe bullying in my classroom. I would be tempted to kick it old school and drag the kid out by their ear to the office and have THEM call their parent at work to come pick them up until they learn how to act and treat other people. I would make it so hard and inconvenient for them to be mean or misbehave that they would get tired of being bothered, and start being nice/doing the right thing.  AND if I suspected that their parent(s) were not reinforcing life lessons on how to treat others at home, I would make it inconvenient for them as well. Some people don’t like being bothered or “put out” and will usually avoid it. If a parent is called at work continually to come get their child for misbehaving, eventually they will tell that child, “really, if I have to leave work one more time because you’re acting like a fool at school (hurting others, distracting others, making others stressed or scared or very uncomfortable etc. etc.), you’re in big trouble at home!” Or one would hope, but it’s always worth the effort, whether the easiest route to take or not, to do the right thing. This isn’t the world we live in anymore, so I know that I can’t teach in this new more PC one. And that’s OK. I will find something I can do to still be a positive working force toward children’s well being and growth in our society, an advocate for those struggling, a supporter for ALL children, and a smile when they need one. It just won’t be in a classroom. I am not saying that ANYONE in AW should or should not be there, I am simply saying that if I felt that maybe they weren’t able to do what needs to be done, maybe not aggressive enough, or realistic enough, or tough enough, or passionate enough, or rational enough, etc. it would not mean that I don’t still think they are wonderful people, it would just mean that I may feel like I need someone else in there who has the traits that I deem important. Nothing personal. It should stop being made personal.  This is not directed at any one person, board members, community members, Jeremy, The Halko’s, teachers, principals, etc. just how I feel and that’s it. Like with everything else in life-take what you can use, what makes sense to YOU, if anything, and discard the rest.  I won’t take it personal. 

• Very well said, Seriously? You can work with my Son any day.

I don’t know how you feel about advocating for children when it comes to Bullying and Suicide Prevention, but I think you’d be a welcomed asset. You get to help fight for what’s right on behalf of ‘littles’ whose voices aren’t being heard. I think that you have the right mindset and passion to do very well. It is clear that you know what it takes to coexist while knowing that all people play a part and what’s most important is who’s responsible for which part. Just a suggestion.

I hope you’re enjoying the Holiday.

Sincerely,