Editor’s Note: Tim Halko is Kaylee’s Father.  Kaylee suffers from Progeria and had multiple Instagram pages created from a classmate and family member. In March of this year, I wrote about the bullying she was facing.

This is the first time the Halkos have shared what the pages looked like and the details of what the school has done. This was posted last night on Facebook.

Photo Courtesy of 13ABC

Photo Courtesy of 13ABC

Written by: Tim Halko

The Anthony Wayne Community has been very big supporters of Kaylee from Day 1. We appreciate everything the community members have done. It does not surprise me to read the article about Myles Eckert, as we feel like we have been totally let down by the school system too. I have attached just a few of the screenshots of the Instagram pages that were created by the kids in the AW school system. I thought about blurring out the profane words, but decided to leave them in so you can see the hatred these kids have towards Kaylee. AW does not consider it bullying that these kids came to school and told other students to go home and check out the pages they created. They also showed them to students on school ground using their phones/ipods, etc. Even after this the kids told the school they would take it down, only to bring them back up a day later and write “utriedhahaha”. The kid in Kaylee’s grade retaliated against kids who stuck up for Kaylee and told kids that eventually she would get what she has coming to her. Again, the school told us these are all separate incidents and does not meet their bullying policy. I have letters from the school telling us why they do not consider it bullying. The first letter we got said one thing. We hired an attorney went in and proved that every thing in their letter was wrong. Then they came up with different reasons.

On top of all this, once we brought all this to the schools attention Kaylee was treated horrible by the school. In the last month of school she was taken to the school nurse because the school thought she had an eating disorder. She has Progeria, that is why she is small and doesn’t eat as much as other kids. Anyone that can’t see that, shouldn’t be working in a school system. She doesn’t have an eating disorder. With about a week left to go in the school year Kaylee was at lunch and was not hungry. The lunch lady forced her to eat to the point that she vomited on her shirt. I have had numerous people tell me they saw this and even a teacher tell us they saw Kaylee in the hall and asked her what happened and that is what she told the teacher.

I have had numerous people come to me with stories of bullying at AW. I have even had other parents come to me with stories about the same boys saying that they have bullied their kids. However, AW doesn’t have an issue with bullying.

We finished up the school year, but there is no way we will ever send Kaylee back to Anthony Wayne. There are so many things they could have done. They could have moved the kid in Kaylee’s grade to another Elementary school in the district, but didn’t. They made Kaylee have to see him every day and listen to him make comments about her in the lunch room. The school has made it very clear to us that they do not want us coming back next year and would rather have this other family in their school system. Maybe if we donated smartboards to the school they would think differently

WARNING: THESE IMAGES CONTAIN NSFW LANGUAGE, ARE HARD TO READ

UPDATE: Kaylee’s father responds to the negativity aimed at Waterville and suggests there may be a pricetag that buys bullies out of trouble.

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
Posted in Bullying, Instagram, Life, Myles Eckert, Parenting, Toledo
97 comments on “UPDATE: Kaylee Halko’s Father Shares Heartbreaking Details about her Bullying (WARNING: This will Hurt your Heart)
  1. AW parent says:

I used to live in a Toledo public school district and was thrilled to move to a house that would allow my kids to attend such great schools. My oldest who made friends where ever she went did okay
    but had a limited friend pool because she didn’t like a lot of the students. She was so happy to be out of there. My middle daughter is an artsy kid and was miserable throughout junior high. She went to the counselors with concerns about another students home situation and was was told that there wasn’t anything that they could do. She had chairs pulled out from under her in class, she got fat lips and bruised up during gym glass and was told it was just fun and games and no one was willing to address it. The bullying is concerning, but the administrations unwillingness to address bullying in any real way is appalling!

2. Springfield Students says:

We Love Kaylee @ Springfield and our Volleyball Team Volunteers every yr at her fundraiser. Bring her to us so we can treat her like the princess she is…We love u!!!!

• Selin says:

That’s soo nice if you i’m on team Kaylee. I follow her on musical.ly she has a crown and gets a lot of likes on her musical.ly’s and she has a lot of fans and she doesn’t have tooo much hate comments.i see the comments that say like oh i feel so bad for you or we’re by your side. Kaylee desveres too be treated nicely. Have a good day!😀

3. Caring grandma says:

Nothing we can do now but wait till the next levy request. Also, the school’s reputation will suffer and compassionate people will not move into Anthony Wayne district. Our homes won’t sell. When tax valuations drop someone will take action.

4. Jessica says:

I used to live in Toledo. I moved out of state 12 years ago when my oldest was just starting preschool. I will never move back there. We live in a wonderful school district that accepts everyone no matter what the circumstances are. I wish you the very best in finding a good school for your child and I will be rooting for her every step of the way. God made her special for a reason!!!!!!

5. Bryan says:

AW alumni “87… AW’s response does not surprise me at all. I was thrown against a locker by a teacher when I was in the 5th grade. Now they call it ADHD, back then they called us “troubled students”. I’m no medicated for my ADHD and doing great in my life!! AW has an arrogance problem and until they focus on the students and not the “old money families” in the area this will continue to be an issue.

6. Gary says:

I cannot believe that this would happen after all of the violent problems going on in America’s schools.
    To the administrators who refuse to do anything, you should be ashamed.

7. Ammme says:

This could be total bullshit. Honestly you could have made a fake account on Instagram and then screenshotted it. There are only like 4 followers which says nothing and says nothing about bullying to this particular girl. I am not and will not ever be ashamed of going to Anthony Wayne. I doubt anyone at the school ever acted like this family is claiming and I’ve also heard otherwise (of what the family claims). Just remember, it could be very easy for YOU to write an article and exaggerate claims and get people to believe you.

• Wow. Now, I see what they are talking about!! Ammme, you just proved them right! OMG! You’re absolutely bizarre! Nice Job! Hahahaha!

• 🌙 says:

that’s so horrible , why would u think that a person would lie about being bullied .u wouldn’t say that to Kaylee’s family -in person ! So don’t say it online. U wouldn’t like to be treated like that so don’t treat other ppl like that . ammme and Sara u both should be ashamed of urselves . and so should AW !

• Dawn says:

Honey, 10 years ago, as we were relocating to the area, I was advised by professionals with Masters degrees to stay as far away from this school as I could with, at that time, my high school age children, due to issues within this school and counterproductive activities that have taken place in the AW school system over the years. I am not surprised at the present claims of this family. I have been to school sporting events where one very well known person from the AW area screamed and bullied refs, players, and the other team. I can only imagine if you are raised in such surroundings, you find it the norm and see nothing wrong here.

• Liz ortiz says:

Ammme you sound like an absolute idiot!!!! Why the hell would a family make up a story like that?! You ignorant piece of shit!!!! I love kaylee and her family you have some nerve! Hope KARMA bites you in the ass you evil troll! I can’t stand heartless people like you!!!!

• Anna B says:

I really respect you and admire your fight know that there is a person is this world that looks at your heart and soul and not body image thank you for sharing your story Love Anna. Also I know it’s hard for you right now because your going through the a lot with your life and I hope you find a cure sooner than later

• Not tellin says:

Actually u r wrong ppl did get bullied at that school my friend used to go there. And she would always come home crying and telling me about all the bullies

• chloe says:

why would they fake this? there is no reason to the poor girl gets shit ive seen it. this is no thing to fake and the family would not fake something like this. the school is obviously shit and the bully should have been moved.

8. Sean says:

For people to say that this is fake is like those people who say we never landed on the moon. I’m good friends with Tj Halko and it really surprises me that people would be this hateful to a family and a great person like kaylee. I’m behind you guys all the way. This is how a tight knit community works, everyone here in Monclova stand behind Kaylee.

9. Lori Myers says:

Really? you think Kaylee’s parents would go so far as to make up fake accounts? Get a life Bullying is real and there are plenty of people that have been affected by AW not taking it seriously. If no one else ever had this problem in that school district it would be one thing but they are many that have and they need to address the problem!

10. 08 aw grad says:

As an 08 aw grad, as freshman we were required to attend their “challenge day.” As far as I know freshman are still required to attend. If aw doesn’t have a bullying problem why would they invest the time and money into this program??? After graduating, while watching mtv I saw an episode of challenge day at aw. I think it’s pretty obvious the kids at aw have too much freedom and too much access to social media, their parents should be monitoring them as they are under 18.

11. All you have to do is look at how many parents have pulled their children out of the AW school system…let me tell you it is ALOT.. I still live in the district but there is no way in hell that I would ever allow my child to have anything to do with that school system and I am not the only one obviously…

12. Dawn says:

As we were relocating we were told by several professionals NOT to relocate to the AW school system. I am so glad we never considered this area. I am so disappointed this could happen in Ohio. To the school system and their “professionals” I can only hope God has mercy on you.

13. Olivia says:

I am an AW Alumnus and I am furious with the AW School Board and Monclova Primary. It never fails to amaze me what the school board WILL NOT do to help a student being bullied. I was bullied in school and luckily, I had a counselor who helped me out and the situation went away. If it had to go to the school board, I can’t imagine what the outcome would have been. SHAME ON YOU AW!!! Thank goodness I have my kids in another school system in Lucas County that has a ZERO tolerance for bullying.

14. Michelle says:

My son hasnt been bullied, but I am considering taking my child out of the AW district and sending him to a private school where bullying isn’t tolerated. AW has become ridiculous in its inability to deal with such issues. Bullying is inexcusable and should not be tolerable in school. Our children are there to learn not be harassed and bullied.

15. Margaret Schneider says:

Shame on ALL who have been involved in this sad, sad bullying issue. The Halko family has enough on their plate with their child’s medical condition, mental health issues dealing with this condition such as a family that watches their babygirl suffer and the redicule she must face from her piers….how can more be placed on their plate from supposedly “educated” professional people in her school? Take the bull by its horns and corral all involved, brand this issue unacceptable and realize all the so-called “old money” cannot pay any amount to erase the affect this whole ordeal has caused on this family, but on a young impressionable girl who does not need this to deal with along with ALL she already is facing daily. Again I say…”Shame on ALL who have been involved in his sad, sad bullying issue.”

16. maribeth merton says:

I just watched a documentary on Kaylee’s excitement on the first day of school. What kind of cruel humans could burst her bubble of belief in kindness of others? Whoever posted those comments is evil, pure evil. I am so sorry anyone would hurt your beautiful child.

17. Jenny Drastura says:

I am so saddened by this story. I just finished watching the TLC program, “6 Going on 60,” and I was full of such joy at thinking what a wonderful life both Kaylee Halko and Lindsay Ratcliffe are having, surrounded by wonderful family and friends. How sad that these cruel people can’t see how special this little girl is, and how much she has to offer. Kaylee, you and your friend Lindsay and awesome! (I have been interested in progeria since Rabbi Harold Kushner was on the Phil Donahue Show ages ago talking about his son who had progeria.)

18. Alexis says:

I feel so bad for her, the bullying needs to stop and the school needs to get a life. After all, she’s just a normal girl. 🙂

19. Aaliyah says:

I was bullied still kinda am but I think that this is more serious than the normal bullying because it is very heartbreaking to see kids like this but I wish u the best Kaylee ily

20. Mia says:

This is not fair people who have this condition should be treat like people without. People should realise how much upset they are causing to other people they need to be stopped!

21. […] they complained to the administration, the school forced the students to delete the pages. They popped back up a day later. Eventually, Halko transferred to another […]

22. […] they complained to the administration, the school forced the students to delete the pages. They popped back up a day later. Eventually, Halko transferred to another […]

23. […] they complained to the administration, the school forced the students to delete the pages. They popped back up a day later. Eventually, Halko transferred to another […]